Monday, April 16, 2012

My Weekend & Cornbread Muffins


This past weekend was a busy...
  • I finally set up my Keurig single cup coffee maker, which I has been sitting in its box for over a year and I have had 4 cups of coffee and 1 cup of tea. Tigger thinks it's a monster since it makes weird noises.
  • Tigger played with some goldfish (the food snack, not the fish, of course) when I discovered that they don't appeal to me anymore. I've noticed that a lot of packaged foods that I use to like now just taste too much like the chemicals in them. We also got a big mouse toy/scratch post/ cat nip holder thing for Tigger and he LOVES it. 
  • I found a few new blogs that peak my interest; some involve food while others are of quotes and photography.
  •  I'm really into vegan recipes right now (I don't know if I will try gluten-free baking, though). And I want to try to bake using grams since I have a lot of recipes bookmarked that are from other countries and cultures.
  • Moonshine, our chicken died :( We were down to 2 chickens from our original 5 when Red started acting sick and we got her back to health and she started to lay eggs again, but then suddenly Moonshine just died. My dad said that Red was pecking her to get up, but when he noticed she wasn't moving and went to check he discovered that she had passed away and buried her.
  • My mom and I went to World Market :) and I finally got a jar of Biscoff spread to try since I see a lot of recipes for it and people raving of how good it is.
  • I changed my blog header. That is tiny fluff ball with ears is Cowboy when he was a tiny bunny in a itty-bitty saddle at the feed store at which we purchased him. 

  • Also I decided that I would post a recipe that I made last week. I actually have a good amount of recipes that I want to test out in the next few weeks like Overnight Oatmeal, No Bake Energy Bites, a Baked Mushroom Risotto, Apple Bran Muffins (vegan), a Honey cake (french) and a few other things. I also will be having either a dinner or dessert recipe for next week since this weekend the family is coming out for dinner.

Honey Cornbread Muffins

adapted from: A Farm Girl's Dabbles
yields: 16 muffins 


1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk, shaken
1/2 cup butter, melted & cooled slightly
2 large eggs
1/4 cup honey
6 oz or so blueberries, optional*

1. Heat the oven to 375F and either spray a 12 count muffin tin or line with cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cornmeal and mix well,
3. In another bowl, whisk together the butter, honey, buttermilk, and eggs. Slowly add the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just blended.
4. Using an ice cream scoop (or spoon) portion out the muffins and bake for 14-15 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean. Cool the muffins slightly in the pan before transferring to a cooling rack and letting the pan cool completely before baking the rest of the muffins.

These are good plain, with chili, butter, or smothered with your favorite preserves or jam.

Notes:
* I added a small handful of blueberries to the last 4 muffins and they were really good so I figured that you would need 6 oz or so if you wanted to put blueberries or any other berries in a the batter for the whole batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment